Frequently Asked Questions About Barcodes
Barcodes for the UK & worldwide. Thousands of happy customers in 120+ countries since 2007.
Please see our extensive FAQs below. If you still can’t find an answer to your question, then please contact us. We are more than happy to help.
[expand text="If I buy a barcode from you, how will I receive it?"] If you purchase a barcode package from our company, you will receive your barcode by email (in different formats: jpeg, png, SVG & pdf). You can then forward the email to your printer or designer so that they can incorporate the barcode into your product label or packaging (if you don’t have a printer or designer, you can do this yourself. Choose the image format you prefer, e.g. jpeg, and get the barcode printed onto your labels/packaging).
Alternatively, our company can also provide you with printed adhesive barcode labels that you can just stick onto your product (you can order adhesive barcode labels here).
1. Our prices are affordable (and a one-off cost);
2. We don’t charge any ongoing membership fees;
3. You will become the legal owner of the barcodes we give you (we don’t merely sell you a ‘license’ to use barcode numbers for a certain period of time);
4. Our barcodes are accepted by more retailers in the UK (and worldwide) than the barcodes from any other barcode reseller;
5. Instant delivery of EAN, UPC, ITF and ISBN barcodes (not ISSN or QR);
6. We offer exceptional customer support;
7. Our team has many years of experience (since 2007) supplying barcodes to customers in the UK & Europe
The barcodes have come from the original block of barcode numbers that GS1 gave away to companies in the USA (before they started charging membership fees). For this reason, our company is able to own our barcode numbers completely without having to pay ongoing membership fees to a Global Standards Body. This benefit is passed on to our customers – we will never charge any membership fees for the barcodes we sell. All of our barcodes are available for a one-off purchase price, and there are no future fees.
Some of the manufacturers took UCC to Court because of this. They settled out of Court (the manufacturers received a multimillion-dollar settlement). An agreement under the settlement was that any company that had paid a membership fee to UCC before 28/08/2002 could now have free ongoing membership of UCC (i.e. they would not have to pay any future annual fees). These manufacturers could also continue to use their UCC-assigned company prefixes.
The barcodes that our company has ownership of came from one of these companies (in the settlement). For this reason, we are able to supply you with a single barcode number (or with a larger group of numbers) for a single affordable price (we do not charge any ongoing fees).
[expand text=" Can you send me sample barcode images?"] We have some sample images here. If you have any difficulty viewing or downloading these images, please email us, and we will send you some sample barcode pictures.
Both versions are designed for international use and can, therefore, in theory, be used throughout the world. However, UPC-A Barcodes are far more common in the USA, and EAN-13 Barcodes are far more common everywhere else. This means that some retailers may be unfamiliar with one format or have their system set up so that it cannot accept 13-digit or 12-digit numbers. Regardless of this, either format can be used.
As can be seen in the image below, the actual bars of the UPC-A format barcode and the EAN-13 format barcode (with a leading ‘0’) are identical. This means that they will scan in exactly the same way regardless of which country they are in. If a retailer’s system does not allow 13-digit numbers, the leading ‘0’ can be ignored when typing the number into the system, and the barcode will work in the same way as if it were a UPC-A format barcode. Similarly, if 13 digits are required, a ‘0’ can be added to the beginning of the UPC-A barcode to turn it into an EAN-13. Either way, the barcode will be globally unique and legal for use internationally.
Static QR Codes
- Encode your URL directly in the QR code, e.g. https://yourwebsite.com
- Permanent, meaning they will work as long as your website URL doesn’t change
- Cannot be redirected as the URL is encoded directly into the QR Code
- Unlimited scans
- We cannot provide tracking data on static QR codes
- Ideal for bringing people to your homepage
Dynamic QR Codes
- Encodes via a host link URL to land on your URL, e.g. https://myqr.pro/1234, which directs immediately to your target URL https://yourwebsite.com/sale
- Functions for life: will function for the first two years. Then, it will continue to function after that as long as you pay a bi-annual hosting fee of £15.
- Unlimited redirection of the target URL. On initial purchase, you specify a target URL. After that, you can ask us to REDIRECT the target URL as often as you wish for a fee of £8 per redirection.
- Unlimited scans so long as you don’t abuse the QR code with millions of scans that cause technical problems, such as crashed servers.
- Tracking is available for £30. Tracking shows how many times and in which country your QR code is scanned. To learn more about tracking, please see TRACKING REPORTS.
- Ideal if you want to be able to change the target URL for, say, marketing promotions, competitions, or new listings.
This was much more than we could afford as a small business, so we began the complicated road of exploring alternative barcoding options. We discovered a way to get legal barcodes without needing to join a Global Standards Body* & pay annual fees. This is why we formed Barcode1 UK (Barcodes Limited). We wanted to share what we had discovered with other small businesses and make it easier and more affordable for them to get barcodes!
Where to find different things on our site:
Why Buy Barcodes From Us?
Amazon Barcode Numbers
ITF-14 Carton Codes
“Hi David, Thank you for your email and the attachments. Wow, what a fantastic and fast service. Highly appreciated. I have forwarded my barcode to manufacturer. I will have a look the registration link later. Once again, thank you for the fast service.” Jameson J (MYJ London)