We occasionally get asked about a free barcodes generator. There are two aspects to this.
1. The barcode number – if you require a barcode purely for ‘internal’ use – ie only for use within your own store, or for use on your record collection or for asset tracking, then you can generate your own barcode numbers – ie make up your own numbers – you won’t need to purchase the barcode numbers. However, if you require a barcode for use on a retail product being sold in other stores, or on Amazon or elsewhere on the internet, then you can’t just generate a random barcode number – will need a legal and legitimate barcode number, which can be purchased from us for a one-off cost.
2. The barcode images – if you already have a barcode number (either purchased or made-up) and need to generate barcode images for it, there are four main options –
- You can find a free barcode generator (for barcode images) on the internet. These programs allow you to enter your barcode number and they will generate a barcode image for you. If your barcodes are for home use, and you can print them large size, then this might be OK. However, you usually only get the barcode images in one graphical format, and have limited or no control over the barcode image size or resolution or any other important parameters. If you are spending money on printing barcodes on your packaging, then it is false economy to try to save a small amount of money using a free barcode generator to create the barcode image – there is a LARGE RISK that it will not print well and hence not be able to scan.
- You can get barcode font to use on your computer within Word or another programs. These are terrible for most barcodes, and definitely don’t work well for generating retail barcode images – stay clear of these.
- You can purchase professional barcode image creating software. We use a variety of these programs, depending on the application, as they each have their strengths and weaknesses. The programs that work best cost many hundreds of dollars (US). If you require hundreds or thousands of images, these programs might be worthwhile for you. However, it takes a long time to work out how best to use them, and what mistakes to avoid.
- You can purchase the barcode images from us for very reasonable prices. We create the barcode images for you, in whatever barcode format, image format, barcode size, resolution you want, and then email the barcode images to you. We can also adjust many other parameters for you, including font style & size, spacing, and optimisation for printing at a specific resolution. We can also add extra text above or below the barcode if you wish, invert the image etc etc
“Hi David, Thanks for all your help, and for sending through the barcode numbers etc so promptly – much appreciated.” Linda R
Founding member of International Barcodes Network.